Get to Know Steve Kivel - CEO and President of Central Watch [Interview]

 
Meet Steve Kivel! You may have read several articles recently with Steve’s sentiments on the industry - but we wanted to offer up another inside look at the man behind the mask timepiece:
1. What was your most interesting job or project?
The most interesting projects for me are always the restorations. Those transformations are typically the most dramatic in terms of the before and after condition. It is a unique opportunity to reverse the aging process and make the history of the piece tangible.
Most of those pieces are also of great sentimental significance to the owner and our customers are always generous with sharing the story that the watch carries. It’s how so many of our customers become part of the Central Watch family.
 
2. What is the most important thing about your position?
Vigilant attention to detail. There is no almost on time. A watch is either perfect or wrong. That takes a complete commitment to precision in every phase of the service.
 
3. Central Watch, a family business - did you ever consider not following in your father’s footsteps?
I was literally born into this business. In our family, it is impossible to separate what we do from who we are. The respect for the art of watch making is in the fabric of our family. The relationships we have with our customers are something I grew up valuing. I can’t imagine doing anything else.
 
4. What qualities do you think make up a good watchmaker?
Watch making at the highest level requires master mechanical skills as well as extraordinary attention to detail. A microscopic misalignment or a speck of dust that is invisible to the naked eye matters here.
 
5. What has impacted your career most, and why?
Working with my family has had a huge impact on my career. I grew up watching my grandfather and my father work together. Then I started here alongside my dad. They are both huge inspirations for me. I strive to work up to their examples of hard work and commitment to excellence.
 
6. What is the most enjoyable aspect of your job at Central Watch?
The most enjoyable aspect is definitely the long standing relationships we have with our customers. We’ve been a part of the Grand Central Terminal community for 63 years. That is a great deal of history to be shared with our customers and our neighbors. It makes work feel personally gratifying.
 
7. Tell us about your proudest achievement.
My proudest achievement here is continuing to grow Central Watch. Several years ago we added a new workshop which we recently expanded. It is truly state-of-the-art and something that I am very proud of.

8. What is the most difficult watch repair you have done?
The most difficult repairs are always the very old vintage watches. There are no parts available for pocket watches from the 1800’s. Our watchmakers have to hand make parts the measure in fractions of a millimeter. It is an amazing process to watch.

9. What do you do in your free time?
I don’t have a great deal of free time, but what I do have belongs to my family. I enjoy spending time with my wife and two daughters. 

10. Is there a favorite watch brand that you own? What makes it so special?
I have an appreciation for many fine watch brands, but a Rolex is on my wrist. I love the styling and durability.

11. For someone just starting out in watch collecting, what do you suggest they look for when choosing a timepiece?
Collecting can be for style or investment. If it is for style, obviously you just buy what you like wearing. If it is an investment, we recommend certain brands, like Rolex, Cartier, etc. that hold their value better than others. It’s always important to know how you would like to wear the watch. Some watches are much better suited for every day wear than others and that can make a big difference in the service requirements over time.


Comments

Popular Posts