Central Watch Father’s Day Press: Gear Patrol

 
ICYMI - earlier this month and just in time for Father’s Day, Gear Patrol sat down with our own Steve and Larry Kivel to talk all things Central Watch and family. We’ve pulled out some of our favorite tidbits below:

On how Central Watch’s Founder, Max Kivel, first got into matchmaking back in 1928:

“[Max] came to this country without speaking a word of English, but had a little bit of a [watchmaking] trade. He always worked hard. He was a man who wanted to provide for his family and had the American Dream. He always said, “In America the streets are paved with gold.” The punchline: “You have to know how to scoop it up.”
On how Larry and Steve ended up working at Central Watch:
Larry felt like it was more of a responsibility put on him by his father [Max]. “I actually resented a little of it at the time, because it used to be on a Friday afternoon and all my friends were playing ball, and I was rushing in from Queens to get into the city to spend some time with him. But it worked, and it gave me more responsibility, and I developed more as a person, I believe, because of it.” 
Steve however entered in of his own accord. In fact, Larry always said “Do not come into this store. Stay far away and become a doctor or anything else. Don’t be here — there’s no sunlight, there’s no air.”
On the most important thing Steve learned from father Larry:
“Treat people the way you want to be treated — and he treats people like nobody I’ve ever seen. Like, there wasn’t a day I worked in that store that I kinda felt like shit because people would come up saying, “Is Larry there? Can Larry help me?” Which is okay; I got it because that helped me too.I checked my pride at the door a long time ago. It’s the right way. And in the end, somehow, I benefited from it.”
Read the full interview on Gear Patrol.

At Central Watch, our professionals have been selling and servicing watches since 1952. From vintage timepieces to watch repair and watch straps, we are here to provide exceptional service for all of your watch needs. To view our selection of timepieces or learn more about our services, visit us online or give us a call at (212) 685-1689.

Comments

Popular Posts